Mary Poppendieck applies these lean rules to software teams. Practice these concepts and great things will happen.
1. Eliminate waste: Spend time only on what adds real customer value.
2. Amplify learning: When you have tough problems, increase feedback.
3. Decide as late as possible: Keep your options open as long as practical, but no longer.
4. Deliver as fast as possible: Deliver value to customers as soon as they ask for it.
5. Empower the team: Let the people who add value use their full potential.
6. Build integrity in: Don't try to tack on integrity after the fact – build it in. (Think test first)
7. See the whole: Beware of the temptation to optimize parts at the expense of the whole.